Thursday, July 3, 2008

week 5 chapter 9: motivation

I feel motivation is necessary for a person to get a job done. Whether the job is work, or something that relates to school without motivation there is not a basis to do the task. The book defines motivation as the degree to which an individual is personally commited to expending effort in the accomplishment of a specified goal or activity. I agree with the book that a leaders encouragement or discouragement can effect the motivation of an employee. When I left my last company we were looking within our team to promote someone to the position I was in. There was a girl who assumed she should get the position but after trying it out and giving her more responsibility it was clear she could not handle the position and my supervisor told her she wanted her to focus on her current position and being as strong in that position as she could before trying to move on. Without the idea of an immediate promotion her performance decreased and she sloly started getting other tasks pulled from her plate because she began to have a bad attitude. She should have took the feedback as motivation to do better so she could get promoted in the long run.

1 comment:

SantaCruz said...

Motivation is a powerful tool in anything you do in life. I find that I run a little faster, put forth more energy, and push myself further with someone encouraging me along the way. I would like to think I am self motivated, (we would all have to be if we are taking an online summer class), but it is always nice to know someone is encouraging you along the way. One of the best supervisors I had was one that motivated his co-workers. He was amazing. He was intuitive to each of our needs, knew how to push us out of our comfort zone to build our confidence, applauded our success, and made our weaknesses our strengths. I don’t know how he was able to encourage and motivate like he did, but I know when I worked for him I always wanted to give 150%.

I feel the strength of a good leader is the ability to motivate others to do what you need them to do, or motivate them to be better than they are. The story of your co-worker was a good example of someone who missed the opportunity to gather feedback and make herself better. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to accept or listen to motivation.