Friday, June 27, 2008

week 4 web lecture: pervasive communication

The pervasive communication enviornment has three major components. These are Mobile digital media, Mobile Analog media, and Location specific media. These three concepts are how we communicate with each other. Mobile digital media is cell phones, laptops, media players, personal digital assistants, media recorders and satellite radio. These forms of communication I can not live without. On a daily basis I use my cell phone and laptop multiple times a day. Sometimes I wonder how our society got his way? Our parents did not have these methods of communication and they were fine but now days it seems as if we can't live without them. I agree with Coopman that the pervasive communication enviornment has changed how group and team members communicate.

3 comments:

Erin Johnson said...

I completely understand. I am obssessively dependent on my cell phone, computers, and the internet. In fact, it is hard for me to even remember what my life was like before these technologies came around. I can go shopping with my mom and she can easily leave her cell phone in the car yet mine is pretty much glued to my hand. I take all these services for granted too...the moment I'm without an internet signal, chaos arrives.

Lloydentoigen said...

I agree with your statement that it seems we cant live without our mobile digital media. I think the reason is that the more we use something the more dependent we are on it. As a PDA becomes necessary for one's ability to work efficiently it is then expected that they take calls and answer email whenever they receive them. I think that these technologies are enforced by the people around us. If we send a professor an email we might start getting upset when we dont receive a prompt response. The expectation of the medium being present. People get testy when I dont answer my phone so I make sure I have it on me most of the time.

The pervasive communication environment also blurs the line between work and home. If I can answer email and take care of work from home when am I not working? Before you clocked in, and clocked out, now you might as well be on the clock all the time (depending on the job of course)

kcee said...

I can totally agree that I can not live without my cell phone. One day I forgot it at my boyfriends and I felt so lost the whole entire without it. It's makes me wonder what we did before new technology like cell phones and lap tops. I think we take new technology for granted and do not value face to face communication as much.